Building our shared future
The University of Michigan is engaging in a collective strategic visioning process to imagine our shared future for the next 10 years — our Vision 2034. The active participation of U-M students, faculty, staff, alumni and partners will be vital to the initiative’s success. Join us as we embark on this historic journey.
Our path forward through the visioning process is guided by the university's mission and values. It also will be informed by the insights of ongoing university engagement efforts and strategic plans from across the institution, including:
Campus Plan 2050
UM–Dearborn Strategic Planning
Michigan Medicine Strategic Plan
In the weeks and months ahead, the U-M community will have multiple opportunities to engage in the Vision 2034 process including through in-person and virtual town halls, focus groups and unit-specific events.
Outreach, community engagement and analysis will occur in four phases throughout 2023 with the goal of the university launching its collective strategic vision in early 2024.
- Established primary objectives for strategic visioning.
- Created advisory committee charged with representing the diverse perspectives of U-M community.
- Developed framework for various community engagement opportunities including focus groups and town halls.
- Hosted a variety of idea-generation events including focus groups, informal meetings, town halls and online submissions to gather input from the three campuses.
- 5,000 students, faculty, staff and alumni engaged.
- +50 idea-generation events hosted.
- Thousand of Visions 2034 ideas shared.
Analysis & Key Findings
- Analyze community input collected during winter, spring and summer terms.
- Review other campus conversations and planning processes to identify parallel themes to inform the strategic visioning process.
- Establish draft strategic vision focus areas based on initial community engagement input.
- Engage leadership and community to gather reactions on the preliminary strategic vision and focus areas.
- Continue to refine the vision and its focus areas.
- Share final strategic vision in early 2024.