Building our shared future
The University of Michigan is engaging in a collective strategic visioning process to imagine our shared future for the next 10 years — our Vision 2034. The active participation of U-M students, faculty, staff, alumni and partners will be vital to the initiative’s success. Join us as we embark on this historic journey.
Our path forward through the visioning process is guided by the university's mission and core values. It also will be informed by the insights of ongoing university engagement efforts and strategic plans from across the institution, including:
UM–Dearborn Strategic Planning
Michigan Medicine Strategic Plan
In the weeks and months ahead, the U-M community will have multiple opportunities to engage in the Vision 2034 process including through in-person and virtual town halls and focus groups, as well as surveys and online forums.
Outreach, community engagement and analysis will occur in four phases throughout 2023 with the goal of the university launching its collective strategic vision in early 2024.
- Establish primary objectives for strategic visioning.
- Create advisory committee charged with representing the diverse perspectives of U-M community.
- Develop framework for various community engagement opportunities including focus groups, town halls and a broad campus survey.
- Engage students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders through focus groups, informal meetings and townhalls to gather input from the three campuses.
Analysis & Key Findings
- Analyze community input.
- Review other campus conversations and planning processes to identify parallel themes to inform the strategic visioning process.
- Establish draft strategic vision pillars based on initial input.
- Share preliminary strategic vision with the community and university leadership for feedback.
- Refine based on feedback.
- Share final strategic vision in early 2024.